Child friendly, lightly spiced autumnal curry, golden turmeric colour and cosy fire side cooking to warm the hands over after a breezy afternoon out in the elements.
A knob of coconut oil (or cooking oil/butter)
1 teaspoon each of turmeric & garam masala
Small piece of chopped ginger
4 or 5 cloves of garlic
Tin of chopped tomatoes
Tin of coconut milk
A handful of fresh coriander
Chicken pieces (equivalent to 2 x chicken breasts but we buy cheaper cuts like de-boned chicken thighs)
Any left over veg we need to use up – spinach, mushrooms, kale or peppers work well.
Serves two adults and two small eaters.
- Build a large fire with a good few logs and allow it to burn down for 20 minutes or so until the initial fierceness of the flames have subdued.
- Get your Dutch oven or other fire proof food receptacle on the go.
- Fry up the spices in the coconut oil.
- Add the chopped onion and garlic.
- Add the chicken and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Chuck in the tinned tomatoes and coconut milk.
- Simmer for 30-45 mins depending on the heat of your fire.
Serve with bread or rice.