We love all the health benefits of probiotics.
We don’t usually have money in the budget for supplements on the road.
This fermented Sauerkraut recipe is the perfect option for us as it’s easy to make in a van, cheap and full of goodness.
It only takes a few minutes to make, suiting our food prep style perfectly.
The added bonus is you don’t need any complicated equipment.
Coarse Sea Salt
Optional extras: Carrot, Red Pepper, Mustard Seeds, Chilli Flakes.
Equipment: Large Bowl, Knife, Glass Jars.
- Take off one outer leaf of cabbage and save to one side.
- Chop Cabbage into thin ribbons.
- Add 2 tablespoons of salt to cabbage in a large bowl.
- Knead, scrunch or pound salt into the cabbage to release water.
- Leave for 5 minutes, then repeat.
- Add optional extras (grated carrot, sliced pepper, herbs or spices).
- Pack into jars and tamp down each layer with a wooden spoon. Leave a good 1-2 cm gap at top of jar.
- Use saved cabbage leaf to squidge down on top of sauerkraut mix and keep it slightly weighed down in jar (not essential but helps keep sauerkraut from being exposed to air and going bad).
- Cover with the cabbage juice released during kneading (add extra water if needed to make sure all cabbage is covered).
Leave to ferment for 2 weeks before eating.
Enjoy a dollop of sauerkraut on top of soup, salads, Buddha bowls or mezze plates.
To Make Fail Proof Sauerkraut:
- Make sure equipment and your hands are super clean.
- Always make sure the sauerkraut is submerged in the brine.